Sunday, November 1, 2009

Things Come Together

Thursday, 10/29/09 - Went to Home Depot after work today and bought a roll of roofing felt (aka tar-paper) and a five-pound box of roofing nails. The roll was only $20 and claimed to cover 216 sq. feet. The cabin footprint being less than 10' x 20' gave me great confidence that one roll would be more than sufficient. As it turns out, the roof is actually 12' deep (ah-hi!), so the nice new roll puttered out right before the last two foot strip.

This tar-paper was sweet. It was clean and didn't make my hands dirty. It also had white lines marking out regular intervals on the inside of the roll. it made keeping things lined up and getting proper overlap really easy.

Two strips of tar-paper installed. I snapped a chalk line to put the first strip out. The subsequent strips were easy to lay down with a few marks 34 inches above the edge of the previous strip. This gave a 2 inch overlap. The edges of the felt have lines marked out too, so measuring wasn't even really necessary. The piece of plywood at the bottom of the photo has been used to cover the hole where the chimney will be installed.

I wasn't sure how many nails to use. While at HD, I flipped through a book about making out-buildings and sheds to see what they recommended. It said something vague like, "use only as many nails are needed until the shingles are installed". I figured a nail every 24 inches seemed as good a rule as any, so I went with it. At the edges I doubled the nails, and on the bottom edge I put a nail every 12 inches. That might be overkill, but I haven't been making much of a schedule for myself and I had no idea how long it would be until shingles were up.

Word on the street is that once the roofing felt is installed, it can pretty much be left to itself out in the open without worry for a few weeks. It would be a thrill to get rid of the big blue tarp, but it will have to stay up until the shingles and flashing are installed (There is still a gap in-between the brick and the roof).

This small man-made lake lives directly above my house. It would be a good idea to keep a hose up there to siphon water into the abandoned backyard behind my place. It must weigh a ton. Emily said one day a Jewish man was up on this roof dumping this quagmire into her backyard, completely flooding the place! She put the kibosh on that tout-suite, and now it doesn't seem like anyone has taken care of this situation all summer. I'm going to take matters into my own hands and remove this before this gets unloaded onto my house some day before winter.

Flashing is basically steel sheet. It weather-proofs areas of the roof that need additional protection. For my house, I'll put flashing all along the top of the roof where it meets the brick and around the chimney. The chimney kits I've been looking at include special shaped flashing, so it should be easy to install.

Dark photo of the top of the roof. See the gap? The house had two old rolls of roofing felt inside, so I'll still be able to cover this up without buying another roll.

It got dark, so I packed up and put the tarp back on. A good day for the cabin! It was a chill time working by myself, but I ran out of daylight fast. The shingles will have to go up on a day off because it would be cool to get the whole rest of the roof done in one shot. Exciting! A finished roof will be a good reason to move in. I just need to build or find a bed now.

There have no new developments in getting an intern. The hiring process is temporarily suspended for now, but I am accepting applications to put on file. Interested parties should email them to wjulfig@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment