Thursday, November 5, 2009

First Night in the House

Last night was the first overnight stay in the house!  Holy buckets, shit is happening for real!

I had the day off from work and it was a beautiful morning in the city.  Darla made me some tea for breakfast, then we set out into the world- her to the train, me to the photo lab to drop off some film.  After returning to the apartment, I packed everything I could carry and rode to Brooklyn.  It must have been a sight.  There was at least 50 lbs on my back.  To think how much one can accumulate in only 2 1/2 weeks in one place...  it reminded me how packed with Stuff the old apartment on Hart Street was...  

Speaking of stuff, we watched a great monologue about stuff by the late George Carlin last night during World Series commercials at our neighbor Crystal's (Krystal's?) place.  It was a treat to be reminded how good he was.  The Yankees won.  NYC DUH!

This was preceded by a salmon, rice and green bean dinner, with apple crisp for dessert.  -and delicious and cheap champagne!  It was fairly unceremonious, but lovely.  Exactly what my tired bones were looking for.

After the game, I immediately got ready for bed, grabbed my cat, and hopped in bed.  Shortly thereafter, the realization that my sleeping bag was absent came to mind, but sleep came too fast to go get it.  Sophie slept under the covers with me.  The first hours were glorious sleep, almost deafening and blinding- that is how good it was.  Bombs were falling and I paid them them no tribute.  Then the cold crept in as Sophie crept in and out of the covers.  We woke early, said hello to the sun, and got ready for work.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations wes! I'm proud of you. Can't wait to see it when I get home (which is Friday). COOK ME CHILI IN YOUR CABIN! Please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and tell sophie i miss her! oliver and mountain do, too.

    ReplyDelete