Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sunday is not my Day of Rest

...even though I was brought up Roman Catholic (we drink a lot. it was okay).


What could be behind this green door? How does it open? Magicking?

Moving on- Sunday was rainy. As every cloud has a silver lining, the moody weather Sunday morning afforded us a gentle and more eased version of Home Depot than I am used to. Consumers note: Stormy mornings equal less people at the hardware store. Or any store maybe.

This is a fully-loaded orange cart. We had to buy some twine just to make sure everything stayed put. As soon as we got home and cut the twine, a bunch of styrofoam blew off and was damaged. This stuff is both expensive and fragile, let it be written.

A nice HD employee let me know the styrofoam didn't have a UPC and I'd need to go get the digits for the checkout girl. This is what digital cameras were made for. My good friend Patrick likes to take digi photos of Google Maps wherever he is going. It is genius.

Emily helped me pick up all the major roofing supplies:
16 sheets of 2'' x 2' x 4' white styrofoam
8 sheets of 3/4'' x 4' x 8' plywood sheathing
1 extra brace for rafter hanging
15 angle brackets for whatever
4'' screws for the roof
nails for the styrofoam
100 square feet of white gypsum-backed tar paper
a roll of twine
a tube of Great Stuff (you should always have some of this)
150' of cold weather foil tape

We were able to roll all this back home on the orange cart. I wouldn't have been able to do it alone. A line has been crossed in which I can no longer continue the project without some sort of buddy system. My knee hurts and I can't continue to lift things without help or I'll end up hurting myself in a bad way. So come help already! I'm also going to be posting an ad for an unpaid internship soon. The management gave one request- the intern must be really cool in order to be spending time hanging around the house. I think they'll stay busy enough not to "hang out" much. Interested parties please send me an email.

Sophie loves her new house. She likes to come in and talk about what furniture I should build for her and where the furniture is going to go. She thinks the chandelier should go "there".

Stashed styrofoam.

So we got all the stuff stashed in the house. The Bustelo was running strong on top of a delicious open face egg and cheese bagel sandwich and a sugar-free red bull. My eyes were still a bit flat, so I smoked a cigarette while cutting the last notch for the first to last rafter.

Self-timers still baffle me a bit. I would think that the timer icon with a "2" next to it would be longer than the icon with no numbers. In fact, the "2" setting is about 1/10 the delay of the non-quantified setting.

...there we go. May I interest you in some clear liquid? or a small mammalian skull?

The last two rafters went up easily, but my body was screaming sickness. It was time to close up shop and go home to the city (home is in the city for the next few weeks) somewhere around 4-5 p.m. I got to bed by 9:30 that night. Holy Buckets of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment